Have you ever wondered what you can do with washi tape?
Washi tape isn’t your average adhesive tape. It is one of the most favorite tools for lovers of arts and crafts. Since the initial release of this product, the world of washi tape arts and crafts has grown exponentially. Washi tape, when compared to other arts and crafts tools, has been available in the market for a very long time. Today, crafters worldwide experiment washi tape with the intent to keep finding new uses for it. Whether you have used it as a crafting medium or as an accent to another project, the main purpose of washi tape is to add personality to your crafting piece. Do you want to learn more about washi tape? Read on to find out!
What Is Washi Tape?
If you love art and craft, you may be familiar with washi tape. It is a beautiful and decorative masking tape manufactured from natural and sustainable fibers such as hemp and bamboo. Otherwise known as the Japanese rice paper tape, washi tape has the same adhesive properties as other tapes. However, it leaves no residue upon removal from the surface. Washi tape gives you complete control over your art and craft projects. You can even place and replace washi tape multiple times, all while causing no damage to the craft project. Washi tape doesn’t compromise on durability and affordability, making it good for the environment. It can also stick to numerous surfaces, including plastic, wood, and metal.
Available in a full spectrum of colors, patterns, and designs, you can use washi tape for different purposes. Some of them are as follows:
- Planner labeling
- Bullet journal decoration
- Planner decoration
- Craft projects
- DIY stickers
- DIY picture frames
- Home decorating
- Wall decoration
Three Easy Washi Tape Craft Ideas | Step-By-Step Guide
Are you looking for some beginner’s project for crafting with washi tape? You are not alone! Here are three easy and doable washi tape craft ideas for you to try at home.
1. Washi Tape Notebook
Instead of using line spines or boring labels on your notebooks, use washi tape to organize and color code them. They will add a pretty pop of color splash to your bedroom or office shelves. Moreover, because washi tape is easily removable, you can peel it off and replace it with another design or pattern of your choice. When applying washi tape to your notebook, apply a layer of clear tape for extra security. To decorate your notebook using washi tape, all you need is:
- A blank notebook
- Washi tape
- Scissors or a hobby knife
- Scrape paper or stickers for decorative purposes
Follow these steps to re-decorate your notebook’s cover using washi tape:
- Step 01: Mentally plan out what you want your washi tape notebook to look like. This can be anything as simple as a vertical or horizontal line pattern or a complex theme design.
- Step 02: To create a vertical-line design cover on your notebook using washi tape. Now paste the Japanese tape over your notebook with the edges a bit out of the boundary line. Doing this ensures that the notebook is totally covered with washi tape.
- Step 03: Use a hobby knife or scissors to trim the extra washi tape around the edges. We don’t recommend using this scissor for other purposes as the adhesive of the washi tape might stick onto it. This makes the scissor harmful for paper or fabric projects.
- Step 04: To make your design look crisp and clean, fold the excess washi tape to the backside of the notebook cover.
- Step 05: If you want to enhance the cover’s design further, add an extra sticker or two. You can also use planner stickers and washi stickers.
2. Cell Phone Case
Are you bored with your old phone case? Washi tapes have got you covered!
Mobile cases can be very expensive, especially cute and customized ones. However, even if you get your favorite design, there’s a very high possibility that the paint might lose its color or become dull. This is where washi tape comes in. Not only is it an affordable crafting medium. But if used the right way, washi tape elevates the look of your mobile phone cover, helping you achieve the phone case of your dreams. To create your own personalized washi tape cell phone case, you will need:
- Washi tape (two or three designs)
- Cell phone back cover (preferably a light or solid color as most washi tapes are transparent. Thus there is a probable chance that the phone case color will be see-through)
Follow the below-mentioned steps to create the personalized phone case of your dreams using washi tape:
- Step 01: Start placing the transparent phone cover (or any other colored case) on a flat surface. Now take a strip of your favorite washi tape and wrap it around the front edges. In case you have a curved phone case, to get a good fit, use your fingernails to press out any creases.
- Step 02: Alternate between the washi tapes and place the second strip of the tape above the first one. While doing this, make sure to wrap the washi tape strip perfectly around the front edges.
- Step 03: Repeat the above two steps using the third pattern. Keep on doing this until the washi tape covers the entire surface of the phone case.
- Step 04: Now, take a toothpick and use it to poke holes where there are openings in the phone cases. These can be the camera area, on/off buttons, speakers, and the charging port. You can also tear them washi tape off. Yet, we recommend using a sharp knife or a toothpick to poke holes. Followed by using your hands to stick the leftover washi tape sides inside the case to ensure a finished look.
3. Washi Tape Wooden Letters
Who doesn’t love a quick DIY project that lets you add a personalized touch to your home without the need to put your life on hold to finish them? These cute washi tape wooden letters will take you less than an hour to complete, making them a perfect decorative piece for your child’s bedroom. Moreover, while using washi tapes, you have the freedom to customize the design according to the patterns and colors of your choice. To create washi tape wooden letters, you will need the following art supplies:
- Washi tape (You can either use regular washi tape or the fabric version available in the market)
- Wooden Letters
Follow the below-mentioned steps to create a spectacular washi tape wooden letter:
- Step 01: Start by cutting a piece of the washi tape. This should be long enough to cover the width of the wooden letter. Once cut, press the washi tape firmly on the letter’s surface.
- Step 02: Repeat “Step 01” until your cover the entire surface of the wooden letter. You can switch between designs to give the wooden letter a more appealing look.
- Step 03: Once the letter is fully covered, make sure that all the washi tape around the edges is perfectly attached.
- Step 04: Lastly, use sandpaper to smooth the edges of your re-decorative washi tape wooden letter.
Wrapping It Up!
You might have seen washi tape all over Instagram, Pinterest, and even crafting blogs. They aren’t only affordable to look at but almost too cute to use. We hope that we got your creative juices flowing with the aforementioned washi tape craft ideas. Implement these ideas to revamp your art projects every day!