How to Create Origami Rose Plant? If you enjoy arts and crafts, use this guide to origami rose plants and decorate your house with the flowers you make!
Origami is an ancient form of art originating from Japan. The word literally translates to “folding paper” – as ori meaning “folding” and kami meaning “paper” in Japanese. It is an art form that is very closely linked to Japanese culture but has now fascinated everybody and has become a common practice for people from other parts of the world.
While origami translates to “folding paper,” it is a little more complicated than that. Along with being an art form, it is a learned skill that children are taught in regular classes. However, if someone is interested in learning origami, you can do so by following instructions – and that is why we are here.
Since spring is right around the corner, it is the best time to decorate your house with colorful flowers to match the vibe of the season. And when it comes to flowers of the season, the first ones to come to our mind are roses. So why not make some roses on your own using origami and decorate your house this spring? This will not only save you a lot of money on décor but will also be a fun and healthy activity to engage yourself and your family in.
So without further ado, here is a detailed guide about how to make an origami rose plant using just a piece of paper.
How to Create Origami Rose Plant?
Origami Rose Flower
This is one of the most simple methods of making an origami rose plant; using this method you can make tiny rose flowers that you can later use for decoration. Since it’s origami, you need no supplies for this method – just pick a piece of paper in your favorite color.
- Step 1: take a square sheet of paper (if you can’t find a square-shaped sheet of paper, you can just measure and cut any paper into a square) and make the base creases.
The base creases include folding the paper into half from both sides to make horizontal creases, then from top to bottom to make a vertical crease. Then fold the paper diagonally to create criss-cross creases.
- Step 2: Now, make the star fold. For this, fold the vertical and horizontal creases inward. Then do the same with the diagonal creases, and you will get something shaped like a 4-point star.
- Step 3: Now flatten the star by joining the adjacent parts of the 4-point start. You will get two triangles stacked on top of each other.
- Step 4: Now fold the bottom corners up by joining them to the top corner of the triangle. You will get two small triangles facing each other vertically, and two horizontal triangles on each side at the bottom.
- Step 5: After this, create open pockets. The corners that you just folded upward to make vertical triangles have pockets on the inner sides, open the pocket of any one side – we took the left side.
- Step 6: Now, flatten the pocket. Open the pocket as much as you can and then join the top corner with the bottle part of the current pattern and flatten the pocket. This will form a small square on the left, with a bigger triangle on the other end.
- Step 7: Now repeat the same thing on the other side, make a pocket, and flatten it – you will find two small squares on a bigger triangle now.
- Step 8: After this, take the inner bottom corners of the 2 squares and join them to the opposite (diagonal) corners of each square. Half-fold it and join the bottom corner to the center part of the opposite corner. You will see two triangles again on the sides with a smaller corner in the middle.
- Step 9: Once you have done this on both sides, flip the shape and join the layers with their adjacent layers (in a criss-cross manner)
- Step 10: Fold the bottom corners on both sides upwards. And fold the center part in half (upwards as well).
- Step 11: Now, turn your shape and do the same on the other side.
- Step 12: Hold the shape in your hands so that the bottom of the shape is facing you; carefully open the bottom side of the shape.
- Step 13: Once open, carefully flatten the bottom side until it’s completely flat.
- Step 14: Now, turn the shape to the other side; you must find a criss-cross pattern here. Place your fingers between the two layers and twist the pattern clockwise. While twisting, make sure the flat bottom of the shape is held firmly in your other hand.
- Step 15: Keep twisting the shape until the shape of a flower appears; once properly twisted, you will see a rose in your hand. If it’s twisted firmly, the shape will stay there; just make sure you arrange the layers to give the rose a more defined look.
Now you can take more pieces of paper to make multiple flowers because the more, the merrier when it comes to flowers. Moreover, since roses come in multiple colors, you can also do the same. Take sheets of paper in different colors such as red, yellow, white, and pink to represent the true spirit of the spring season.
Add Detailing for the Plant
The above guide was to teach you how to make rose flowers using just a piece of paper through origami. Now, if you want to make rose plants, you must add more detail to the flowers. There are different ways you can go about it – let us share some ideas with you.
Add Stems and Leaves
One way to add detailing to your rose flowers would be to add stems and leaves to your flowers to give them a more defined look. This is super simple; let us tell you what you need to do.
Things you will need:
- Sheets of green paper
- Pencil or sharpie
- Scissors and glue
How to do it:
- Step 1: Take a green sheet of paper and roll it horizontally. Once you’ve rolled the paper, you can cut it into your desired length. This will give you multiple short paper rolls.
- Step 2: you can use these paper rolls as the stems for your plant. Take the paper rolls and, using glue or tape, stick them to the bottom end of the flower.
- Step 3: Now, take another sheet of green paper and draw leaves on it using a pencil. Once you have the shape, cut the leaves and outline them using a Sharpie pen.
- Step 4: Now that you have the leaves, stick them to the stems that you attached to the flowers earlier, using glue or tape. This will give your rose flowers a complete look with leaves and stems.
Make a Rose Bouquet
What you will need:
- A piece of card sheet or cloth
How to make it:
- Step 1: Once you have the rose flowers with the stems and leave, you can join multiple roses from their stems, using tape to make an entire flower bouquet.
- Step 2: Once the stems are stuck together, you will get a bunch of flowers to hold. Take a piece of cloth or card sheet.
- Step 3: Place the bunch of flowers attached with their stem and place them either on the cloth or the card sheet and wrap it around the flowers. You can make simple triangles and fold the paper or the cloth around the flower stems
- Step 4: Secure them using tape, and your rose plant bouquet is ready
Place them in a Pot
Things you will need:
- A small pot with some sand in it
How to do it:
This is the most simple way you can create your rose plant origami. Once you have the stems and leaves attached to the rose flower, simply take the flowers and stick them in small pots with stands in them. Place the stems in the sand, and your rose plant is ready for display!
Wrapping Up – How to Create Origami Rose Plant
Origami is a super simple yet super fun activity to do in your free time. Not only is it inexpensive, but it is also a healthy activity to engage in. If you enjoy arts and crafts, this guide to origami rose plants will be a fun DIY project for you. Using this guide, you can decorate your house or gift your loved ones rose flowers that you made from scratch!