How to Create Origami Star
How to Create Origami Star – In the world of DIY craft, origami is no less than magic! Taking a flat piece of paper and turning it into something creative and inspiring is pretty cool. However, origami can be intimidating, as it requires two things; being patient and making sure that you follow the instructions to a tee. Whether you are a beginner or want to create a fun home décor piece with your kids, creating an origami star is the best way to get your creative juices flowing. Here is a complete step-by-step guide on how to create origami stars.
How to Create Origami Star – 2 Different Types of Origami Stars
Did you know that an origami star signifies good luck and love? The origami star is an inexpensive yet beautiful decoration that you can make in a few minutes with a simple piece of paper. Once you know the gist of the DIY craft, you can easily create origami stars of different shapes and sizes. So, before any further ado, let’s teach you how to create two of the most popular types of origami stars!
1. Origami Lucky Star
If you are new to origami, the cute little 3D origami lucky star is the best way to get started. Also known as wishing stars, they are used to fill glass jars or bowls. According to Japanese tradition, a lucky origami star is a sign of good luck and prosperity. To create the puffy wishing stars, you will need the following supplies:
- Long thin strips of paper – A strip of paper about 12 inches in length and 1/2 inches in breadth.
- A paper cut or pair of scissors.
Now that you have all the necessary supplies, follow the below-mentioned steps to create origami lucky stars:
- Step 1: Take one end of the paper strip and loop it around. While doing so, push the shorter end of the strip through the loop to form a knot. Keep in mind that you are using paper, so you might rip the paper if you pull the knot too tight.
- Step 2: Now press the knot flat to create a small pentagon. Take the short end of the paper strip and tuck it inside the knot.
- Step 3: Wrap the long end of the paper strip around each side of the pentagon. Make sure to do this as tightly and neatly as possible, as this step depends on how puffy and sturdy your origami star is.
- Step 4: Keep on repeating “Step 3” until you have a small tailpiece. Gently tuck the tail end into the knot. You will have a small pentagon in front of you.
- Step 5: To make the corners of a star, place your forefinger and thumb on the edges of the pentagon and press it inwards. Repeat this step for all the corners until your origami star puffs up.
Your first attempt to create a lucky star might not come out as perfect as expected. Therefore, keep on practicing until you nail the technique. Our favorite way is to create hundreds of colorful little stars and store them inside a crystal jar. Moreover, you can also add the little origami stars to any of your DIY craft projects, such as greeting cards or onto an origami Christmas tree.
2. 5-Pointed Origami Star
This is the classic 5-point origami star you’ve been drawing throughout your life. Except for one slightly challenging fold, it’s a relatively simple DIY craft. But that isn’t even the best part. You can create a 5-point origami star using any kind of paper (wrapping paper, magazines, or even colored sheets).To create a shimmery 5-origami star, you will need the following materials:
Follow the step-by-step guide to create a 5-point origami star in less than 10 minutes:
- Step 1: Place the origami paper on a flat surface with the white side up. Now fold the top corner of your paper all the way down to the bottom corner and create a crease.
- Step 2: Fold the top right corner over to the left and use your fingers to mark a crease.
- Step 3: Now rotate the paper in such a way that the top corner is at the very top of the star, whereas the bottom left corner is at the star’s bottom left side.
- Step 4: Pull the top layer from the bottom left corner. Fold it up towards your right hand or, in simpler words, in the direction where the origami star’s top right corner will be.
- Step 5: Crease all the folds well and unfold the paper.
- Step 6: To make a mountain fold, make sure that the paper is completely unfolded. Now, look at the diagonal crease and re-fold along the line.
- Step 7: In order to give the paper a star-like form, push the right and left corners inside while folding the paper from the top behind. To know that you are going in the right direction, note that doing so will create a shape that looks somewhat like a cat’s face.
- Step 8: Crease all the folds well. Do this while making sure that both sides are symmetric.
- Step 9: Pick up the cat-like folded origami paper and look underneath it to ensure that the two flaps inside overlap.
- Step 10: Now, turn the frontal flap into the bottom left of the star. Fold the front flap towards the left and crease it well.
- Step 11: As you flip the origami star over to the other side, you will notice a rough star-like shape. Fold the bottom left corner of the star in the same way you folded the front flap in “Step 10.”
- Step 12: You will now notice a flap that looks out of place. Fold the two-layered flap over and behind to hide it and secure the origami star.
- Step 13: Repeat “Step 12” on the other side of the star.
- Step 14: Now that your origami star is ready, it’s time to add some shimmer and sparkle. Considering that a 5-point origami star is mostly used as an ornament, to make it eye-catching, cover the front side of the star with glue.
- Step 15: Make sure to do this step while the glue is wet; take your favorite colored glitter and pour it over the front side of the 5-point origami star. Do not worry if some of the glitters fall out of place.
- Step 16: Now wait for 2 to 5 minutes and blow the glitter from the star’s surface. Because of the glue, you will see that the glitter is firmly attached to the origami star’s front side. With this, your 5-point origami star is complete.
The origami star garland makes a perfect party décor. To create an origami star garland, take a string or embroidery floss. Tie a knot at one end of the string, needle, and thread it through until all the stars are strung. Tie a knot on the other end of the garland to secure the origami stars from falling.
How to Create Origami Star – Wrapping It Up!
Origami stars are a great gift to give to your loved ones. They are a staple when it comes to Christmas décor. While mini origami lucky stars are perfect to fill up empty jars for display, the classic 5-point origami star makes a beautiful shimmery ornament for your tree. You can also simply line them up using a string to create a garland. Follow the instructions mentioned above on how to create an origami star, and have fun creating origami stars!